Gone To The Dogs? Hall Green Stadium was a greyhound racing stadium located in the Birmingham suburb of Hall Green. The stadium closed in July 2017 to make way for a housing development, following a planning application submitted by the stadium’s final owner, Euro Property Investments Limited. The track itself was a 412-metre long oval track with a sand covered surface. The capacity of the stadium seems to be somewhat in question with estimates ranging from 2,500 to 3,000. The stadium’s main stand facilities included outside terracing along the main straight, fast foods outlets, a bar on the first floor, and an indoor seated area with glass frontage overlooking the track on second floor. Also on the second floor was the a la carte restaurant. Executive suites that can hold between 18 and 100 people were located on the first bend of the track. Related facilities included a hotel situated on bends 3 and 4 which opened in 1990, some rooms of which offered views of the track and a purpose built snooker hall along the back straight with 21 full sized tables. Conference Facilities were also provided and managed by the stadium.[
A grand building in its day! The site was originally conceived as the National Machine Gun Factory but by the time construction was completed in November 1918 the First World War was over and no machine guns were ever manufactured there. Crosse & Blackwell briefly used the factory for producing pickle (Branston Pickle) between 1920 and 1925 and the Branston Artificial Silk Company produced Rayon there between 1927 and 1930. During the Second World War a major ordnance facility known as the Branston Depot was established on the site: the depot closed in 1961 when operations moved to Bicester. Parts of the site were used for the storage of components for Royal Ordnance between 1964 and 1975 and more recently parts of the site have been developed for housing.
This Quirky old building was found by doing a quick bit of research on the phone while looking for places in the area and although it wasn’t full of nik naks and furniture it did not disappoint at all. One of those wonderful places which just keep going and going and reminded me somewhat of the Tardis. Visited this place on a really windy day to add to the ambience and how we laughed at the farmer trying to give chase on his silly little quad bike!!!
These historic works have been hidden from the public for generations and are only accessible via a hidden entrance. Once belonging to an old manor house that fell into disrepair until it was finally demolished we can now show you these works for the very first time.
Believe it or not, This place couldn’t give you an MOT anymore.
This is where the Gardens team would have stored their equipment and stopped for a well-earned cup of tea and a rest.
The Birmingham Blitz was the heavy bombing by the Nazi German Luftwaffe of the city of Birmingham and surrounding towns in the United Kingdom, beginning on 9 August 1940 and ending on 23 April 1943. It is considered a part of the greater Blitz, which was part of the Battle of Britain. Situated in the Midlands, Birmingham, England’s most populous British city outside London, is an important industrial and manufacturing location. Around 1,852 tons of bombs were dropped on Birmingham, making it the third most heavily bombed city in the United Kingdom in the Second World War, behind only London and Liverpool.
Designed by Samuel Wyatt, the Grade II Listed Walled Garden was built 1805-06 to replace a kitchen garden that sat closer to the mansion. At the time, this new Walled Garden would have been at the cutting edge of farming innovation, from its trapezoid shape to catch as much sun as possible, to its steam-heated walls for growing peaches and pineapples and the underground mushroom house. It employed around 20 gardeners, six days a week and each earnt 1s 8d a day.
An Italian restaurant in Derby which bought in Gordon Ramsay to help turn it around went into liquidation. Ristorante La Gondola on Ormaston Road was run by Daniela Bayfield and is now closed. Ms Bayfield bought in Gordon Ramsay in June 2005, shortly after she opened, as part of the Channel 4’s Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares. Ramsay’s advice and the TV publicity gave the restaurant an initial boost but further cash flow difficulties have forced a closure. This Italian restaurant with rooms is an 8-minute walk from Arboretum Park, a 12-minute walk from Derby train station and a 14-minute walk from the shops at Derby. The individually styled standard simple rooms had traditional-style decor and furnishings, and all come with TVs, minibars, tea and coffee making facilities. Upgraded rooms and the bridal suite are more luxurious in style, and add extra features such as canopy beds. There was an on-site Venetian restaurant offering discounts for hotel guests, while other amenities included meeting rooms and free parking.
The Dudley Ryder School was founded in 1824 by Lord Harrowby & opened in 1825. Originally there were two class rooms one for boys & one for girls & there were around 100 pupils in attendance. It was described as a “quaint” building with the headmaster`s house in between the girls & boys classrooms. Parents paid 1/3 per quarter ( about 6.5p ) with the Earl paying 2/3 ( 11.5p ) for each child. Rules laid down in 1843 state that attendance should be days per week from 9:30am to 4pm but not on Saturdays. Sunday school was 9:30am & at 2pm, both of which HAD to be attended. Children had to arrive five minutes before services. There was a quarterly payment of 9/- (45p) for copy books, but reading books & stationary were free. In 1895 the building was enlarged. The School was also open in the evenings ( 1848/1849) so that any railway worker who wished to lean to read & write may do so while building the nearby railway. Due to falling pupil numbers & government cutbacks the school was closed & the remaining 16 pupils went to near by Weston & Milwich schools
These took a lot of finding and research, and thanks to a couple of old timers who knew the area we found them. After removing a good amount of soil and making some make shift steps cut into the sloping bank into the mouth of the cave we then found it flooded. Very disappointed, we then came back with a dinghy and found this. Not much to see, but it was fun and very interesting. Upon covering the entrance and smoothing out the steps to stop further intrusion, we know where it is and may well go back in the Summer to see if the floods have receded
In 1905, George Wade & Son took over rival company Henry Hallen. As the Hallen firm was owned by a distant relation and was founded in 1810, Wade Ceramics (through this) claim to have been established in 1810. In the 1930s, Colonel Sir George Wade gained control of the Wade companies that had previously been run by his father and uncles. He also started further Wade factories, including Wade (Ulster) Ltd in Portadown Following the death of Sir George Wade in 1986 at the age of 94 years and the death of his innovative son George Anthony (Tony) Wade of Leukaemia in 1987, the Wade potteries were taken over by Beauford Plc in 1998 and were renamed Wade Ceramics Ltd. In early 1990s the Irish pottery factory was renamed Seagoe Ceramics and was closed down. Beauford plc’s pottery factories were taken over by a management buyout in 1999 becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of Wade Allied Holdings Ltd. Edward Duke former CEO of Beauford became the major shareholder of Wade Allied Holdings and Chairman of Wade Ceramics. His partner, Paul Farmer became Managing Director of Wade. In 2009, Wade Allied Holdings invested £7.9m in a new factory with the latest robotic manufacturing equipment to make ceramic flagons for the whisky industry. The last Wade factory in Burslem was closed in 2010 and sold for housing development.[