A 70s-tastic hotel, working electricity and furnished. In the late 18th century, George Addams, a wine merchant, had a house built at 3 Beacon Street – it was turned into the Angel Croft Hotel around 1930. The Angel Croft is listed, and the front railings and gates (circa. 1750, see below) are regarded as ‘at risk’ by English Heritage. A schedule of works has been agreed, but so far, nothing has been done to repair them.
Middleton Mine is the only underground Limestone mine in the UK. The mine itself is split over three levels and stretches a staggering 22 miles underground. Its unclear when the mine originally opened but its origins date back to when one part of it was used for lead mining. It was only in the 1900s that the mine turned to Limestone mining. This place was truly massive, just the size of the main tunnels is breath taking. We most likely didn’t event cover a 5th of the mines on our trip here, as we where quite wary of getting lost in the huge amount of tunnels. Anyway on with the photos Update: We made a return visit here in march 2011, take a look at it here.
Clipstone Colliery was built on the site of Clipstone Army Camp in 1926 by the Bolsover Mining Company. It was built as a model village with the latest housing and facilities to provide accommodation and recreation for the mines workers. In 1922 the shafts were sunk at Clipstone colliery to exploit the top hard seam. In 1950’s the National Coal Board Conducted a series of modernisations deepening the shafts and creating the present day head stocks. Standing at 65 meters they were once the second tallest in the world when they were built. The mine operated until July 2003 when it was decided the remaining reserves were no longer economical.
St John’s Hospital or Lincolnshire County Asylum was also called Bracebridge Heath Asylum but it’s formal name was the long winded ‘Lindsey and Holland Counties and Lincoln and Grimsby District Lunatic Asylum! It has also operated under the name of Lincolnshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum. Opened in 1852 in the Bracebridge area of Lincoln originally built to house 250 inmates, it was enlarged in 1859, 1866, 1881 and 1902. The asylum grounds covered 120 acres, the grounds being cultivated by inmates to provide vegatables. Like most asylums it was ‘self supporting’ with, amongst other parts, it’s own chapel with a one and a half acre cemetery in it’s grounds. Designed by the architect John R Hamilton of Gloucester assisted by Thomas Percy, surveyor to the County of Kesteven , in corridor plan layout. Opened 9th of August 1852, closed in December 1989. Parts of the outlaying buildings have been demolished or converted but the main buildings, although mainly stripped remain-for now unconverted.
The last two operational chert mines in Derbyshire were the Pretoria Mine and Holme Bank Mine, both at Bakewell. Pretoria opened in 1902. Access was from adits in a quarry at Bank Top and the steep workings extended beneath the road to connect with the earlier Greenfield shaft. The chert bed lies on a 1 in 3.7 gradient and the mine was subject to flooding in severe winters. Illumination was by mains electricity in addition to carbide lamps carried by the miners. Permission may be obtained to visit this mine.
The North Wales Lunatic Asylum was the first psychiatric institution built in Wales; construction began in 1844 and completed in 1848 in the town of Denbigh. The U-shaped Tudorbethain style hospital was built due to the spreading word of mistreatment of Welsh people in English asylums; The North Wales Hospital would be a haven for welsh speaking residents to seek treatment without prejudice or a language barrier. Renovations and extensions were made at the hospital from 1867 until 1956, when the hospital reached its maximum capacity at 1,500 patients living inside her walls and 1,000 staff at hand. Physical treatments such as Cardiazol, malarial treatment, insulin shock treatment, and sulphur based drugs were used and developed in the 1920s and 1930s, and 1941-1942 saw the advent of electro convulsive therapy (ECT) and prefrontal leucotomy (lobotomy) treatments. In 1960, Enoch Powell visited the North Wales Hospital, and later announced the “Hospital Plan” for England and Wales, which proposed that psychiatric care facilities be attached to general hospitals and favored community care over institutional settings. This was the beginning of the end for the North Wales Hospital and others like it; in 1987 a ten year strategy to close the hospital was formed. The North Wales Hospital was closed in sections from 1991 to 2002; most notable was the closure of the main hospital building in 1995. On July 12, 2004, The Prince of Wales visited the hospital and administered a speech detailing his Phoenix Trust, a historic building trust that prevented […]
The original Infirmary was designed by the architect T H Fleeming (1849-1935) The Infirmary was built by Wolverhampton builders Henry Willcock & Co. at a cost of £13,000 and opened in 1888, providing three men’s and three women’s wards with thirty beds and five children’s cots. It is constructed of red brick with elaborate brick details and stone dressings. It is built to an irregular plan in a simple Gothic style under a plain clay tiled roof with crested ridge tiles and two spired turrets, one of which has an inscribed stone plaque bearing the legend: “EYE INFIRMARY AD 1887. Some of the original sash windows have been replaced and late 20th century extensions to the original west front have detracted from the character and appearance of the original building.
Royal Ordnance Factory Featherstone was filling factory No.17, covering just over 64 hectares, the factory used to specialise in filling various munitions, including, Bombs, Shells, Smoke and Cartridges. It served a major role in WWII but since then has remained derelict, at some point BAE Systems took over the site and kept the majority of the buildings but sold off 13 hectares to HMP Service who have now constructed a prison on the remains of certain parts of the site. At present the remainding site is up for disposal and planning permission has been sought to transform the site into a housing estate.