A mid-sized suburban cinema in an area of the West Midlands, near Walsall, the Avion Super Cinema looked remarkably like an original ‘Odeon’ but was never owned by that circuit. Finished in cream glazed faience enlivened with green bands and a black base, there is a huge window lighting the circle foyer with entrance doors underneath the central canopy. The auditorium is a dull brick box behind the facade. Neon lighting was much in evidence at night. There was also a small stage and several dressing rooms. Seating was divided between the stalls and single balcony. The auditorium was decorated in shades of rose-dubarry and silver with the Art Deco style plasterwork picked out in green. Several different colors of seating was used to create diametrical patterns when viewed from the stage. The cinema opened on 26 September 1938 with a personal appearance by George Formby followed by his latest film “I See Ice”. It then settled into an uneventful routine mainly showing films but with around six full weeks of variety shows on the stage. No major changes were made to the design of the building and it eventually closed on December 30, 1967. It became a bingo hall almost immediately after and continued for over 40 years. In 2001, the faience tiles were in poor condition and were removed with the walls underneath being rendered and painted – this has considerably smartened up the facade and indicates that the Avion was scheduled to be around for some years [...]
The most prominent potato producer and the greatest user of railway line were W. Dennis and Sons who owned large estates at Nocton (8,000 acres), Deeping St Nicholas (2,000 acres) and Kirton (2,000 acres). W Dennis and Sons established their Nocton Estate in 1919 – the annual production in the 1950’s being some 17,000 tons of food, consisting primarily of potatoes.
Wallerscote Island is situated on the river Weaver in the North West of England near Northwich. The Island is home to part of one of the world’s 5 largest soda ash manufacturing companies known as ‘Brunner Mond’. In 1873 and Industrialist named John Brunner and a Chemist by the name of Ludwig Mond formed a soda ash manufacturing business so successful that years later the ‘Brunner Mond’ corporation merged with two other companies, one of which was ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries). Love the entrance to this explore, the workers below us on the crossing didnt even know we where there
Hendre is situated not far from Mold in north wales. The mineral extracted from this mine up until the early 1980’s was fluorite also known as fluorspar. It comercialy had quite a few uses some of which bieng a flux for iron smelting, and flouride thats found in toothpaste. Fluorspar comes in many different colours and because of this it was also used in jewellery, most famously was the blue or purple form that is mined from the blue john caverns in Derbyshire. This mine is not the most extensive mine but the chambers are huge in this place.