Railway Warehouse built for the Great Northern Railway at their Friar Gate Station 1877-78 by Kirk & Randall of Sleaford. Red brick and Welsh slate and glazed roofs with three brick stacks to east. Unusual plan of rectangular warehouse with triangular office block with a mezzanine floor to the east. Two and three storeys, over a basement. Double chamfered plinth, moulded corbelled eaves cornice. South elevation of twenty-one bays divided into groups of three by giant pilaster strips. The centre bay has a segmental arched entrance, otherwise the ground floor has segment headed windows with metal casements. Similar windows above except for two bays with double doors and two bays with bracketed out timber hoist structures under oversailing gables, one partly demolished. West elevation of 1-4-1 bays with mostly segment headed windows and a large tripartite railway entrance under riveted box girder. Bays one and five step forward. North elevation is similar to the south, but of 27 bays. The east end forms part of the offices and has three storeys with six segment headed sashes to each floor. Rounded corner to acute north east angle with tripartite arrangement of sashes to each floor. South east elevation of 2-2-5-2-2 bays. The outer pairs have two segment headed windows to three floors. The centre five bays have 1 similar windows above a large opening under a riveted box girder. The office block with rounded acute angle was built to front onto the proposed approach road from Friary Street to Friar Gate […]
Two Brothers George and William Downing started building Malthouse 1 in Merchants road, Gloucester in 1876, due to the sucess of the business they then build a second Malthouse in 1895 right next to it and a further Malthouse 3 and Malthouse 4 in front right next to the dock edge. In 1972 the whole site was taken over by ABM and the Downing name was lost. The place closed when production was moved to Wallingford in about 1980 and the building taken over by West Midland Farmers to store Grain.