The mortuary, built in the 1940′s, is a small, rectangular building on the outskirts of the main Hospital site and closed in April 2009 when the mortuary relocated to the main hospital building. Inside, there’s a small chapel and viewing room with the rest of the building comprising of body fridges and the main autopsy room.
This synagogue was designed by architect Alfred Ernest Shennan, famous for designing many cinemas in the area. The foundation stone was laid on 14th June 1936 by Baron Tobias Globe in the presence of Dr J.H. Hertz, the chief Rabbi of the British Emire at the time. The building was consecrated on 15th August 1937. During the Second World War the synagogue became a refuge for families who had been rendered homeless by heavy bombing during the Blitz. Over the years eventually the congregation dwindled in size until there were less than 40 regular worshippers and only one service per week so on January the 8th 2007, the doors finally closed after almost 70 years. The building was already listed but in 2008 the status was upgraded to a Grade II listing. English Heritage agreed the change after plans were filed which proposed to convert the concrete, steel and brick building into apartments. The listing report describes the synagogue as “one of the finest art deco synagogues in the country”, and the upgrading puts the synagogue in the top 5% of all listed buildings in the UK at this time.
Not a lot to say about this, other than ‘a nice little find in the midlands, full of history’
The Trent and Mersey Canal was conceived as a way to provide a link between Liverpool and Hull, passing through the Potteries. It was authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1766, and with James Brindley acting as engineer, its 93 miles (150 km) were completed eleven years later in 1777. Brindley also built the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, which was begun at much the same time as the Trent and Mersey, and was completed in 1772. It joined the Trent and Mersey Canal at Great Haywood, and was part of his Grand Cross plan to link four English estuaries: the Humber, Thames, Severn and Mersey. Haywood Junction therefore became a major transport interchange.
Calwich Abbey, previously Calwich Priory, was in turn the name of a medieval Augustinian priory and two successive country houses built on the same site near Ellastone, Staffordshire. Calwich Priory It was founded circa 1130 as a satellite cell of Kenilworth Priory and was dedicated to St Margaret. In 1349 it became independent from Kenilworth with the right to elect its own prior. It was always a small and relatively poor establishment. After the death of the prior in 1530 only one canon remained in residence and in 1532 the house was suppressed and handed over to Rocester Abbey for disposal. By 1543 the property had been acquired by the Fleetwood family, who converted the priory buildings into a dwelling house. Calwich Abbey country house Derelict stable block, Calwich Abbey The priory site was purchased from the Fleetwoods by Bernard Granville. He built a house there and died childless in 1775, bequeathing the property to his nephew, the Revd John D’Ewes, who assumed the surname Granville on inheriting the estate. He also left the estate in 1826 to a nephew, Court D’Ewes, who similarly adopted the surname Granville. This house hosted visits by Erasmus Darwin, Anna Seward and the philosopher, Rousseau. The estate was then acquired by the Duncombe family, who rebuilt the house in 1849–50 in a Jacobean style by architect William Burn. It was constructed of ashlar with slate roofs in two storeys to an irregular floor plan. Much of the house was demolished in 1927. The remaining [...]
Camelot Theme Park was a resort and theme park located in Lancashire. The park´s theme was based on the famous legend of Camelot. Unfortunately security caught us half way round so didn’t get the full set.
Used to be a pumping station for the Elan pipeline to the Hayley Green water supply, commissioned in 1949. This pumping station was the first to use the new technology of VHF transmission, by South Staffs Water
A former World War Two military airfield and later civillian airfield. Construction began in 1942 and the airfield was opened in 1943. It was equipped with three concrete runways and perimeter track. The technical site and hangars were to the north end of the airfield, the Type B1 and T2 aircraft hangars were on the far side of the B5405 road. The original Type T2 was still extant in 1994. The airfield was provided with an unusual design of control tower which was intended to act as a strongpoint with loopholed walls, this was also extant in 1994, as were earthwork remains of the airfield’s bomb stores. The airfield was also defended by a battle headquarters (please see SJ 82 NE 19 for further details). Temporary accomodation sites for around 1400 personnel were dispersed around the vicinity of the airfield. During the war the airfield was used by training units of the Royal Air Force, including 30 Operational Training Unit and 21 (Pilots) Advanced Flying Unit. There was also occaisional use by diverted American personnel and aircraft. At the end of the war repatriated prisoners of war were landed at Seighford. Military flying ceased in 1946. From 1956-1966 Bolton and Paul used part of the airfield for testing jet aircraft. This civilian company replaced the B1 Type hangar which had become derelict with another of the same design. By 2001 the airfield was used for agricultural and industrial purposes.
The Caynton Caves, hidden in dense woodland near Wolverhampton, have a rich history stemming back to the 17th century when they were apparently carved out of sandstone by followers of the Knights Templar. In the past, the landowners have tried to be accommodating when sects, good or evil, have asked permission to use the site. Their patience began running thin when, over Christmas, they found the caves had been filled with candles, sinister symbols scrawled on the walls and rubbish. But the final straw came when they answered the door to two red-faced warlocks who had the cheek to ask for the return of their robes which had been used in the black magic ceremony. Dominic Wass, an urban artist who has a workshop on the site, said: ‘There’s definitely some strange stuff gone on down there. It’s surreal to have two warlocks knock on your door, but at least they asked.’ Inside the caves, mystic sigils (seals) competed for crowded wall space with more modern scrawled messages, written by youths who have turned the temple into a drinking den The site ranks alongside Castle Ring, a public Stone Age monument near Cannock Wood, Staffordshire, which has become a hotspot for Druids. Solstice and Halloween pose particular problems at Caynton. One Halloween bonfire party for local children was interrupted when trespassing worshippers, alerted by smoke, spilled out from the cave. Mr Wass said: ‘Very little is known about why they are there. There are all kinds [...]