Yet another delightful farmhouse with all manor of little nik-naks in Derbyshire.
When it opened on September 18, 1932, the Durham City Baths and Washhouses replaced an earlier peat-floored swimming pool that had a habit of turning the water a murky brown. And with a main pool measuring 75 feet by 30 feet, the modern complex was large enough to be used for competitions by the Amateur Swimming Association.
This is a small row of buisnesses that have shut down and been left to allsorts of abuse over the years, such as vandals, drug users and the elements. So we decided to take a look and this is what we found.
This is an old cottage based in Armitage, Rugeley. Not a lot of history attatched to this one although it is at present being currently modernised
During discussions in 1890 to include the Balsall Heath district into the city of Birmingham, it was decided that public baths should be built as soon as possible for the area if Birmingham were to acquire the district. The Bill was passed and Balsall Heath was annexed into Birmingham on 1 October 1891. The City of Birmingham Baths Department were then instructed to find an appropriate site for the construction of public baths in the area. Working in conjunction with the Free Libraries Committee (a library had also been promised to the residents of Balsall Heath as part of the deal which absorbed their district into Birmingham) the City of Birmingham Baths Department soon located a site on the Moseley Road close to the junction with Edward Road. A small cartway known as Midland Grove ran behind the site and the access this offered for the delivery of coal to the rear of the building was a key factor in the decision to choose this particular site. Moseley Road Baths were used as a makeshift hospital in the early years of World War II. An additional entrance was created to facilitate this purpose, which was subsequently used as an emergency exit from Pool 2. By the end of 2010 a steel beam used to support the wall and roof above it had become severely corroded, leading to the pool’s closure as this part of the building was in danger of collapse. Today, the library remains a functioning branch of [...]