The Royal Observer Corps were in existence from 1925 to 1995 and their first significant operation was to act as aircraft spotters in WW2 where their task was to radio in any sightings of enemy aircraft or flying bombs. After the war ended they were briefly stood down after being in continuous operation from September 1939 to May 1945 then as the peace transitioned into the Cold War their role changed. The new role was to report nuclear explosions and monitor the nuclear fallout, to do this the crew of three would have to be prepared to spend up to 21 days underground in a 16ft x 7ft x 7ft bunker, between 1958 and 1968 over 1,500 of these bunkers were built across the country.
These Runway Tunnels were used to build the engines for aircraft that was used in WWII. They were then used for the car trade afterwards until it shut.
Nowadays, the Longbridge site bears little resemblance to the thriving car plant that once proudly dominated the landscape. Lickey Road where the cars of MG Rover workers used to be double-parked outside the factory, is now a smart housing estate, just up from the retail park. All that remains are the tunnels beneath. See the original post here
Selly Oak Hospital was a long-standing institution that cared for the sick for nearly 140 years, but its founding buildings will soon be consigned to history. Although buildings on the site date back to 1872 when King’s Norton Union Workhouse opened, it wasn’t until 1897 that King’s Norton Workhouse Infirmary was built next door at a cost of £52,000. It is these two buildings that went on to become known as Selly Oak Hospital in 1911, serving patients across the area and beyond until its services moved to Edgbaston’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital in 2011. The original Selly Oak Hospital building has already been partly demolished by Persimmon Homes after it purchased the site with planning permission for 650 homes.
Stallington Hall was occupied by Sir Smith Child, Bart, his wife Sarah, daughter Elizabeth, and eleven staff in 1881. Smith Child’s ancestry can be traced back to a William Chylde who married Eardley in Audley in 1623 and who lived at Boyle’s Hall in Audley. Smith Child himself was born in 1808 and married Sarah Hill in Fulford on 28th January 1835. He was M.P. for North Staffordshire from 1851 until 1859 and for West Staffordshire between 1868 and 1874. He was created a Baronet in 1868. He was noted for his philanthropy, his many gifts to churches and towards founding schools, and his generous contributions to the North Staffordshire Infirmary Building Fund. He died on 27th March 1896, two years after his wife, and is buried at St. Nicholas in Fulford. His grandson Hill Child inherited the Baronetcy. In 1924 Sir Hill Child took an appointment in the King’s Household and so sold Stallington Hall to the City of Stoke-on-Trent who made it into a home for the mentally ill, both adults and children.
The silk manufacturing firm of Wardle & Davenport began in 1867 as a partnership between Henry Wardle of Leek, innkeeper and photographer, and George Davenport of Leek, silk throwster. It became a public company in 1899. The company pioneered the manufacture of artificial silk stockings. At its peak, the company employed up to 2500 people but struggled in the 1960s, finally going into receivership in 1970.
The pictures can paint a terrifying picture of incredible animal neglect and cruelty – but there may also be a plausible explanation that no one yet has come up with. If you are easily upset or disturbed by pictures of domestic animals in decomposition then please look away now!
WINCHAM’S only remaining pub will disappear under plans to build homes on the site of the old derelict Black Greyhound. Isle of Man-based Countrywide Investments is seeking planning permission to demolish the long-vacant pub and replace it with 17 homes. The pub has been empty for about three years, and its deteriorating condition has sparked concern from the Parish Council, which has been pressing the site owners for information about their plans for the boarded-up building. The Black Greyhound is the only remaining pub in the area, but due to lack of trade it was converted to a restaurant and gained approval for an extension to provide 28 budget bedrooms in 1990.