Selly Oak Hospital was a long-standing institution that cared for the sick for nearly 140 years, but its founding buildings will soon be consigned to history. Although buildings on the site date back to 1872 when King’s Norton Union Workhouse opened, it wasn’t until 1897 that King’s Norton Workhouse Infirmary was built next door at a cost of £52,000. It is these two buildings that went on to become known as Selly Oak Hospital in 1911, serving patients across the area and beyond until its services moved to Edgbaston’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital in 2011. The original Selly Oak Hospital building has already been partly demolished by Persimmon Homes after it purchased the site with planning permission for 650 homes.
Stallington Hall was occupied by Sir Smith Child, Bart, his wife Sarah, daughter Elizabeth, and eleven staff in 1881. Smith Child’s ancestry can be traced back to a William Chylde who married Eardley in Audley in 1623 and who lived at Boyle’s Hall in Audley. Smith Child himself was born in 1808 and married Sarah Hill in Fulford on 28th January 1835. He was M.P. for North Staffordshire from 1851 until 1859 and for West Staffordshire between 1868 and 1874. He was created a Baronet in 1868. He was noted for his philanthropy, his many gifts to churches and towards founding schools, and his generous contributions to the North Staffordshire Infirmary Building Fund. He died on 27th March 1896, two years after his wife, and is buried at St. Nicholas in Fulford. His grandson Hill Child inherited the Baronetcy. In 1924 Sir Hill Child took an appointment in the King’s Household and so sold Stallington Hall to the City of Stoke-on-Trent who made it into a home for the mentally ill, both adults and children.
Melton Mowbray Mortuary Fridge and viewing room. Attatched to this was the old vagrancy cells where the drunken and homeless were found and locked up to sober up or to be fairly? punished. For those having a long stay were given incredibly boring and tiring tasks to do such as breaking stone as payment for their board and food rations.
Built in about 1759, Daresbury Hall is a Grade II listed building five miles east of Runcorn. It was taken over in 1955 by the charity now known as Scope as a home for adults with cerebral palsy. The residents were eventually moved to other accommodation and the hall has stood empty in recent years. About 600 cannabis plants – estimated to have a street value of £750,000 – were found in an annexe building of Daresbury Hall, Cheshire Police added. Ch Insp Paul Beauchamp said the drugs “could well have been destined for the streets of Runcorn or further afield”. No arrests at the time had been made closely following the raid, which police said were prompted by “local intelligence”.
Stafford County Asylum opened in 1818 to accommodate 120 patients. Over the years it expanded and housed around 1000 patients. When Cotton Hill Asylum opened in 1854 for private paying patients, the Stafford County Asylum only took ‘pauper lunatics’. The hospital was transferred to the National Health service in 1948 and renamed St George’s Hospital.
This is our second visit, possibly 3 years later. It seems all the carpet has gone, vandals have moved in and the electric is no longer on. The property is now sold and will be refurbished into new apartments.
The hospital closed in 2012 upon completion of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Relocation of the first services from Selly Oak began during the summer of 2010 when its A&E department moved to the new Q.E.Hospital on 16 June and over the next 7 days Critical Care and other departments moved step-by-step the 1.5 miles to the new hospital. On average one inpatient was moved every 5 minutes between 7 am and early evening On the morning of 23 May 2010 a ‘Service of Thanks’ was held at Selly Oak Hospital to celebrate a century of caring and this was followed by a fun fair at which staff and patients were invited to “Take a Trip Down Memory Lane”, sign a memory wall  and contribute to an on-line memories website. The reorganisation was first planned in 1998 though it was not until October 2004 that planning approval was given by Birmingham City Council, with construction beginning during 2006. Selly Oak Hospital was well renowned for the trauma care it provided and had one of the best burns units in the country. It was also home to the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine, which cared for injured service men and women from conflict zones, as well as training service medical staff in preparation for working in such areas. In March 2007, the Hospital was alleged to be not properly treating Iraq war veterans. The hospital has also appeared in national newspapers with stories of servicemen being verbally abused in the […]
Maes Mynan Hall was a warm, friendly and caring home. The proprietor, Dr. Don Harrison and his dedicated team of qualified nurses and care assistants aimed to provide the highest standards of care and comfort for all the residents but failed consequently resulting in its closure. The home had all modern nursing facilities and specialist equipment. The lounges and day areas vary in style to suit different needs and requirements and residents could choose where to dine, and may also dine in the privacy of their own rooms. Bedrooms are mostly single, some with en-suite facilities.
Can’t find much info on this place apart from it was founded in 1807 as “The Aged Pilgrims’ Friend Society” and originally set-up to provide grants and pensions to needy elderly Christians. It offered the following – Enhanced sheltered housing, Close care housing 4 flats. Built in 1920 and renovated in 1975. Sizes studio, 1 bedroom. Includes mobility standard properties Extra Care scheme with on-site care staff, non-resident management staff (24 hours) and community alarm service Lift, lounge, dining room, laundry, guest facilities, garden, community centre Access to site fairly easy, but less so for less mobile people. Distances: bus stop 20 yards; shop 3 mile(s); post office 3 mile(s); town centre 6 mile(s); GP 3 mile(s); social centre 6 mile(s) This almshouse charity caters for: elderly Protestant Christians. Regular social activities include religious, outings. Some meals available (2 main meals daily). New residents accepted from 60 years of age
The mortuary, built in the 1940′s, is a small, rectangular building on the outskirts of the main Hospital site and closed in April 2009 when the mortuary relocated to the main hospital building. Inside, there’s a small chapel and viewing room with the rest of the building comprising of body fridges and the main autopsy room.
4 Years after our last visit to Denbigh [See it Here] we go back to see how the old girl has fared up after the ‘Emergency Repair Works’ carried out by the local council. We where greeted with a sad sight, the main admin block is just a shell (literally) of it former self, walls and floors ripped out and a tin roof replacement have seen the building loose all of its former charterer. As for the rest of this huge hospital, left to decay further, the amount of damage to the remaining buildings makes you wonder if these are even worth saving anymore. What a shame that the owners have let it get to this state, and what a further shame that the local council weren’t a little more sympathetic with their repairs of a building that was once, full of history.
Derbyshire Royal Infirmary (DRI) was established in 1810 on land formerly part of Derby’s Castlefield estate on land near what is now Bradshaw Way and the A6 London Road. It was known as the Derbyshire General Infirmary at the time. In 1890 a Typhoid outbreak sweeped through the hospital, and the buildings design was blamed. The hospital is entirely demolished, a year later Queen Victoria laid the foundation stone of what would become Derbyshire Royal Infirmary. The neo-Jacobean building was completed in 1894, and its main features were its ‘Onion’ shaped domed towers and its central corridor which ran the length of the hospital. The hospital was expanded at several points in the 20th century, the most visible being the still used Wilderslowe Tower and the now disused A+E building built in 1970. The DRI as a result is an architectural mish-mash with the original hospital at its heart. In the late 90s, the NHS Trust’s for each hospital in Derby merged, and drew up a dramatic plan to consolidate the services of both hospital’s on one site. The so called ‘super hospital’, soon to be known as the Derby Royal Hospital is one of the largest in the region. There are no official plans to redevelop the now redundant Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, the land is covered by a large regeneration plan which will expand Derby’s city centre southwards into what is known as Castleward. The 1987 built part of the hospital shall continue to provide medical care, providing the […]