An Italian restaurant in Derby which bought in Gordon Ramsay to help turn it around went into liquidation. Ristorante La Gondola on Ormaston Road was run by Daniela Bayfield and is now closed. Ms Bayfield bought in Gordon Ramsay in June 2005, shortly after she opened, as part of the Channel 4’s Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares. Ramsay’s advice and the TV publicity gave the restaurant an initial boost but further cash flow difficulties have forced a closure. This Italian restaurant with rooms is an 8-minute walk from Arboretum Park, a 12-minute walk from Derby train station and a 14-minute walk from the shops at Derby. The individually styled standard simple rooms had traditional-style decor and furnishings, and all come with TVs, minibars, tea and coffee making facilities. Upgraded rooms and the bridal suite are more luxurious in style, and add extra features such as canopy beds. There was an on-site Venetian restaurant offering discounts for hotel guests, while other amenities included meeting rooms and free parking.
This traditional English restaurant is situated only two minutes from junction T6 of the new M6 Toll road between Lichfield and Walsall. The Terrace was a well established privately owned restaurant with a reputation of high standards delivered by a dedicated and passionate team. Whatever your individual requirements, They prided themselves on excellent facilities, expertise and high standards of professional and courteous service. It was an ideal venue for all types of occasions from an intimate dining experience to a banquet for your wedding reception. The place closed its doors in 2014.
This was a nice opportunity. I’m not going to disclose where this is in Wales as I don’t want to encourage too many trespassers to such an important site when natural visiting should be enough. But for those who want to see this from a different perspective, I did manage to locate a few unhidden tunnels and get inside. These Bastions date from the 16th Century so please enjoy!
This was an odd find in the middle of nowhere. Filled with niknaks from the 60′s even though the caravan itself was only 20 years old – and weirdly decorated in photocopied pages from a biology book and maps. The floor was also covered with glued pages taken from an unknown novel. Nice!
The station was first used by the Royal Flying Corps in 1916 but was not brought into use for flying until July 1918 by the Royal Air Force. During the inter-war years and continuing through the Second World War until 1950 Upper Heyford was used mainly as a training facility. During the Cold War, Upper Heyford initially served as a base for United States Air Force Strategic Air Command (SAC) strategic bombers and later United States Air Forces In Europe (USAFE) tactical reconnaissance, fighter and fighter-bomber aircraft in the UK. Upper Heyford was unique among bases in the United Kingdom as only the flight-line area required military identification to access. The rest of the base, save the commercial facilities, was accessible to military and non-military alike. Upper Heyford was also unique in that the airspace around the base (from the surface to 3500′) was protected by a mandatory radio area (UHMRA) in which private pilots were required to be in contact with the base controllers on frequency 128.55 when flying past or overhead.
Well this was a little surprise - a lovely quaint cottage with all the right ingredients for a good old fashioned mooch. Not too many belongings here, but enough to get the camera out!
Well isn’t this place full of surprises!
The Royal Observer Corps were in existence from 1925 to 1995 and their first significant operation was to act as aircraft spotters in WW2 where their task was to radio in any sightings of enemy aircraft or flying bombs. After the war ended they were briefly stood down after being in continuous operation from September 1939 to May 1945 then as the peace transitioned into the Cold War their role changed. The new role was to report nuclear explosions and monitor the nuclear fallout, to do this the crew of three would have to be prepared to spend up to 21 days underground in a 16ft x 7ft x 7ft bunker, between 1958 and 1968 over 1,500 of these bunkers were built across the country.
Stallington Hall was occupied by Sir Smith Child, Bart, his wife Sarah, daughter Elizabeth, and eleven staff in 1881. Smith Child’s ancestry can be traced back to a William Chylde who married Eardley in Audley in 1623 and who lived at Boyle’s Hall in Audley. Smith Child himself was born in 1808 and married Sarah Hill in Fulford on 28th January 1835. He was M.P. for North Staffordshire from 1851 until 1859 and for West Staffordshire between 1868 and 1874. He was created a Baronet in 1868. He was noted for his philanthropy, his many gifts to churches and towards founding schools, and his generous contributions to the North Staffordshire Infirmary Building Fund. He died on 27th March 1896, two years after his wife, and is buried at St. Nicholas in Fulford. His grandson Hill Child inherited the Baronetcy. In 1924 Sir Hill Child took an appointment in the King’s Household and so sold Stallington Hall to the City of Stoke-on-Trent who made it into a home for the mentally ill, both adults and children.
The pictures can paint a terrifying picture of incredible animal neglect and cruelty – but there may also be a plausible explanation that no one yet has come up with. If you are easily upset or disturbed by pictures of domestic animals in decomposition then please look away now!
WINCHAM’S only remaining pub will disappear under plans to build homes on the site of the old derelict Black Greyhound. Isle of Man-based Countrywide Investments is seeking planning permission to demolish the long-vacant pub and replace it with 17 homes. The pub has been empty for about three years, and its deteriorating condition has sparked concern from the Parish Council, which has been pressing the site owners for information about their plans for the boarded-up building. The Black Greyhound is the only remaining pub in the area, but due to lack of trade it was converted to a restaurant and gained approval for an extension to provide 28 budget bedrooms in 1990.
Chillington Hall is a Georgian country house near Brewood, in Staffordshire. It is the residence of the Giffard family. The Grade 1 listed house was designed by Francis Smith in 1724 and John Soane in 1785. The park and lake were landscaped by Capability Brown. In the Doomsday Book, Chillington (Cillintone) is entered under Warwickshire as forming part of the estates of William FitzCorbucion. His grandson Peter Corbesun of Studley granted Chillington to Peter Giffard, his wife’s nephew, for a sum of 25 marks and a charger of metal. The present house is the third on the site. In the 12th century there was a stone castle on the site, a small corner of which can be seen in the cellars of the present house, and beside it the original house. This house was replaced in the 16th century by Sir John Giffard, who was High Sherriff of Staffordshire on five occasions. Peter Giffard began the third building by demolishing and replacing part of Sir John’s Tudor house in 1724. This rebuilding replaced the existing south front of three storeys in red facing bricks with stone dressing. In about 1725, Peter Giffard planted the long avenue of oak trees which formed the original approach to the house, but he probably incorporated many existing trees. During the 1770s, Capability Brown designed the landscape park and lake to the south of the house for Thomas Giffard the elder. There are a number of Grade II and Grade II* listed structures on the estate. The Grade II* listed dovecote and stable [...]