Gone To The Dogs? Hall Green Stadium was a greyhound racing stadium located in the Birmingham suburb of Hall Green. The stadium closed in July 2017 to make way for a housing development, following a planning application submitted by the stadium’s final owner, Euro Property Investments Limited. The track itself was a 412-metre long oval track with a sand covered surface. The capacity of the stadium seems to be somewhat in question with estimates ranging from 2,500 to 3,000. The stadium’s main stand facilities included outside terracing along the main straight, fast foods outlets, a bar on the first floor, and an indoor seated area with glass frontage overlooking the track on second floor. Also on the second floor was the a la carte restaurant. Executive suites that can hold between 18 and 100 people were located on the first bend of the track. Related facilities included a hotel situated on bends 3 and 4 which opened in 1990, some rooms of which offered views of the track and a purpose built snooker hall along the back straight with 21 full sized tables. Conference Facilities were also provided and managed by the stadium.[
The Dudley Ryder School was founded in 1824 by Lord Harrowby & opened in 1825. Originally there were two class rooms one for boys & one for girls & there were around 100 pupils in attendance. It was described as a “quaint” building with the headmaster`s house in between the girls & boys classrooms. Parents paid 1/3 per quarter ( about 6.5p ) with the Earl paying 2/3 ( 11.5p ) for each child. Rules laid down in 1843 state that attendance should be days per week from 9:30am to 4pm but not on Saturdays. Sunday school was 9:30am & at 2pm, both of which HAD to be attended. Children had to arrive five minutes before services. There was a quarterly payment of 9/- (45p) for copy books, but reading books & stationary were free. In 1895 the building was enlarged. The School was also open in the evenings ( 1848/1849) so that any railway worker who wished to lean to read & write may do so while building the nearby railway. Due to falling pupil numbers & government cutbacks the school was closed & the remaining 16 pupils went to near by Weston & Milwich schools
This traditional English restaurant is situated only two minutes from junction T6 of the new M6 Toll road between Lichfield and Walsall. The Terrace was a well established privately owned restaurant with a reputation of high standards delivered by a dedicated and passionate team. Whatever your individual requirements, They prided themselves on excellent facilities, expertise and high standards of professional and courteous service. It was an ideal venue for all types of occasions from an intimate dining experience to a banquet for your wedding reception. The place closed its doors in 2014.
This was an odd find in the middle of nowhere. Filled with niknaks from the 60’s even though the caravan itself was only 20 years old – and weirdly decorated in photocopied pages from a biology book and maps. The floor was also covered with glued pages taken from an unknown novel. Nice!
McKechnie has been an engineering force in the UK in each of the last three centuries. It built its factory in Middlemore Lane, Aldridge, in 1954. At one stage branches of the company were established in South Africa and New Zealand. It came to specialise in round rod, shaped rod, turned parts and stampings for the water, gas and electrical industries. McKechnie Brass, which was bought out of administration with the backing of West Midlands-based industrial conglomerate Grove… Industries in September 2011, has a history stretching back to 1871, when it was founded by Duncan McKechnie in St Helens. It moved to Birmingham in 1894 and became an early pioneer of brass and copper extrusion. The company went into administration in January 2014 with a loss of around 60 jobs. The fundamental problem with the business was the tightening of scrap material prices throughout 2013. This led to substantial losses, despite a growing order book, significant operational improvements and the establishment of a strong local management team. The Aldridge factory employed around 1,000 people between 1979 and 1987 whilst producing approximately 1,000 tonnes per week, with about 4 extrusion presses in use at any one time, producing around 480,000 extrusions per annum. These presses produced extruded rod, hollow bar & section, in various shapes, sizes & specifications of brass. It supplied the building industry, the military, amongst others, & in the later years produced specialist wire for the railway industry. Raw material, such as swarf, brass in various forms, was […]
The nursery had an extensive outdoor play area for the children to play and explore with a variety of outdoor toys and resources available to extend the children’s learning environment. The nursery comprised of an age/ability related play room, which was resourced to reflect the learning stages and needs of the children.
This place seemed a no go area until we came across an opening at the last minute. Fascinating explore and the amount of chemicals left behind was unspeakable. However on exit to the van from the chemistry labs we were accosted by a really annoyed and ferocious grounds man who had an extremely colourful vocabulary. He also demanded that I remove and delete all pictures that I had taken, which I did immediately . . . . . So here they are – Enjoy!
Well isn’t this place full of surprises!
WINCHAM’S only remaining pub will disappear under plans to build homes on the site of the old derelict Black Greyhound. Isle of Man-based Countrywide Investments is seeking planning permission to demolish the long-vacant pub and replace it with 17 homes. The pub has been empty for about three years, and its deteriorating condition has sparked concern from the Parish Council, which has been pressing the site owners for information about their plans for the boarded-up building. The Black Greyhound is the only remaining pub in the area, but due to lack of trade it was converted to a restaurant and gained approval for an extension to provide 28 budget bedrooms in 1990.
Stafford Borough Library was housed throughout the later C19 in the Borough Hall. This was at first a reading room, but a reference library and lending library were established in the former dining room of the Hall in 1882. The present building, originally known as the ‘New Free Library’, was designed by the Liverpool architects Briggs, Wolstenholme and Thornely in 1912 and opened in 1914. It was partially funded by the charity of Andrew Carnegie, although apparently before the Carnegie United Kingdom Trust had been founded in 1913. Its foundation stone was laid by the Mayor of Stafford, Cllr. C W Miller on 19th February, 1913. It housed the lending and reference libraries and a reading room. It also became the location of the collection of ethnographic, zoological and geological specimens formed by Clement Lindley Wragge of Oakamoor, Staffordshire, which moved here from the Borough Hall. Open access to the shelved books was allowed from 1929 and an art gallery was opened in the building in 1934. An extension was added to the south-eastern end in 1962, apparently to the Borough Architect’s design. The building ceased to operate as a library in 1998 and was then used as Stafford Performing Arts Centre. In 2011 the building was sold by the borough to a developer and planning permission was granted to turn it into a restaurant in 2013, but this was not implemented and at the time of survey (June 2015) the building was vacant and for sale. The entrance hall […]
New homes could be built on the site of a former day nursery in Lichfield. The old Humpty Dumpty’s building on Cherry Orchard will be demolished and be replaced by seven properties if planners give the proposals the go-ahead. The site is currently empty following the nursery’s move to a new home at Trent Valley, although its parking facilities are currently used on an unofficial basis by parents at nearby schools. In a statement supporting their application, the developers said: “The application site is located in an area that is predominantly residential in character. “The proposed development will not be unduly intrusive in the street scene.”
This building was built in 1903 and was the hub of the community. It played host to jumble sales, band practices, amateur dramatics, keep fit and local discos and other celebrations. It was then shut in 1990 and put up for sale as a new build took its place.