Designed by Samuel Wyatt, the Grade II Listed Walled Garden was built 1805-06 to replace a kitchen garden that sat closer to the mansion. At the time, this new Walled Garden would have been at the cutting edge of farming innovation, from its trapezoid shape to catch as much sun as possible, to its steam-heated walls for growing peaches and pineapples and the underground mushroom house. It employed around 20 gardeners, six days a week and each earnt 1s 8d a day.
These took a lot of finding and research, and thanks to a couple of old timers who knew the area we found them. After removing a good amount of soil and making some make shift steps cut into the sloping bank into the mouth of the cave we then found it flooded. Very disappointed, we then came back with a dinghy and found this. Not much to see, but it was fun and very interesting. Upon covering the entrance and smoothing out the steps to stop further intrusion, we know where it is and may well go back in the Summer to see if the floods have receded
This was a nice opportunity. I’m not going to disclose where this is in Wales as I don’t want to encourage too many trespassers to such an important site when natural visiting should be enough. But for those who want to see this from a different perspective, I did manage to locate a few unhidden tunnels and get inside. These Bastions date from the 16th Century so please enjoy!
Daw Mill mined a five-metre thick section of the Warwickshire Coalfield (known as the Warwickshire Thick) in the north of the county. It was owned and operated by UK Coal and in 2008 employed 680 people. The two shafts that served Daw Mill were first sunk between 1956 and 1959, and 1969 and 1971 respectively. The mine was a natural extension of the former collieries Kingsbury and Dexter Colliery, both of which have also closed. In 1983 an inclined tunnel linking underground workings with the surface was completed. This drift miningenabled Daw Mill to increase its production capacity as it removed the often time-consuming process of winding coal up the shafts. Daw Mill was the last surviving mine in a county that once had 20 operating collieries.
Chilmark was a small limestone quarry worked to provide stone for Salisbury Cathedral. The quarry closed in 1935 when demand for limestone fell due to the increased use of concrete for building purposes. The quarry and surrounding land were bought by the Air Ministry in 1936. In contrast to the other RAF ammunition depots, Chilmark was stable. The limestone was of good quality, so fewer pillars were needed to support the roof, and the floor was level. The entrances were in poor condition, but these were strengthened with a concrete lining which gave the tunnels the appearance of the London tube! The first consignment of war stores arrived in May 1937. Chilmark’s claim to fame is the fact that it was on the only RAF ammunition depot to survive the war. In the early years of the war Chilmark took over a number of remote satellite depots including two of the War Office underground sites at Corsham (Eastlays Quarry and Ridge Quarry) and also developed immense surface storage sites in woodland at Dinton and Grovelley Wood.
The Royal Observer Corps were in existence from 1925 to 1995 and their first significant operation was to act as aircraft spotters in WW2 where their task was to radio in any sightings of enemy aircraft or flying bombs. After the war ended they were briefly stood down after being in continuous operation from September 1939 to May 1945 then as the peace transitioned into the Cold War their role changed. The new role was to report nuclear explosions and monitor the nuclear fallout, to do this the crew of three would have to be prepared to spend up to 21 days underground in a 16ft x 7ft x 7ft bunker, between 1958 and 1968 over 1,500 of these bunkers were built across the country.
These Runway Tunnels were used to build the engines for aircraft that was used in WWII. They were then used for the car trade afterwards until it shut.
Nowadays, the Longbridge site bears little resemblance to the thriving car plant that once proudly dominated the landscape. Lickey Road where the cars of MG Rover workers used to be double-parked outside the factory, is now a smart housing estate, just up from the retail park. All that remains are the tunnels beneath. See the original post here
This is underground
The hexagonal shaped underground reservoir is split into two sections which could be controlled independently by way of complex piping and Penstocks, both sides are a mirror image of each other and share the central air vent. The underground reservoir could be discharged out into the small river behind the waterworks by way of buried cast iron pipes leading to an ornate octagonal Excess Fountain built from blue brick and two small, stepped, overflow channels reached via a dressed stone bridge with carved Renaissance obelisks running over a granite lined stream. Also amongst the woods is a large pond with sluice gates.
When the Germans had conquered France, they started building cross-Channel guns on the French coast. These were long range coastal artillery pieces which were intended to bombard enemy ships in the Channel and also English coastal towns and military installations. Four 38cm Siegfried guns were placed near the little village of Haringzelle. These enormous guns weighted 111 tonnes (109 ST), were 18m (724 in) long and could fire every 30 seconds a 800kg (1800 lb) shell. The same type of gun was also used on the Bismarck-class battleships. Normally these guns were placed in open concrete gun positions, relying on their armor for defense. But Hitler thought that was not enough protection for these massive guns since they were so close to the enemy. He ordered reinforced concrete casemates 3.5m (11 ft) thick and 10m (33ft) high built over and around the mounts. These casemates were built in a little forest patch and also camouflaged. Today, all four giant casemates are still standing with their guns removed. One of them (casemate n°1) is turned into a museum, to show how people lived within these bunkers. Here you can see Trum 3 with original Nazi propaganda paintings featuring Winston Churchill, Trum 4 which is mostly destroyed and an observation post.
Le Blockhaus is one of the biggest bunkers the Germans constructed in France. It would serve as a V2 rocket launching facility, but was never completed because the Germans started using mobile launching facilities to avoid bombing. Located in the forest of Eperlecques, construction started in March 1943. The south section of the building was constructed by initially constructing a 5 meter (16ft) thick concrete plane weighing about 37.000 tons, which was incrementally raised 22m (72ft) high by hydraulic jacks and then supported by walls to become the roof. This principle was used to protect the workers during the allied bombing raids. Despite the bombings, the south part of the gigantic bunker still stands today. The north part was partially destroyed. You can still see the holes that the bombs made in the bunker. A German V1-lauch rail can also be seen at the site. A permission visit as this bunker is now a museum.