Lluesty hospital, built as a workhouse in the late 1830s, has not been used since the new Holywell Community Hospital opened in 2008. The building is listed but there is land for development on the site, with room for up to 70 homes.
Pool Park was rebuilt in 1826-1829 for the second Lord Bagot. It was acquired by the North Wales Counties Mental Hospital and opened in 1937 to accommodate 87 patients for relief of overcrowding at the Denbigh hospital. It has a main elevation of 2-storeys, plus attic, and is rendered with a slate roof. It has a nine bay front with projecting gabled end bays. The centre three bays are also gabled with a projecting central entrance bay. The entrance has an ornate pilastered porch with coat of Arms above and an arched entrance. There are small pane transome and mullion casement windows and gabled dormers. It is now in urgent need of repair.
This Halloween we decided to do something a little different. We started the evening with an explore of the asylum, around the admin block, through the church and into the mortuary. This was enough to get us spooked, before setting up our sleeping bags inside one of the cells and settling down for the night. Here is the footage we took that night: Thanks for watching Photos from our previous explores can be found here. A special Thanks to Oliver Cadden for creating this video.
West Park Asylum (or West Park Hospital) is a large psychiatric hospital in Epsom, Surrey. The hospital was designed by William C. Clifford-Smith (architect to the London County Council), who was also involved in the design of nearby St Ebba’s Hospital. The hospital had been in planning since 1906, and by 1917 it was largely complete; however, the outbreak of war postponed opening until 1923. When complete the hospital could cater for around 2,000 patients of mixed class, and hence the site had extensive boiler houses and plant rooms, a large laundry and a substantial water tower. There were enormous kitchens located behind the canteen, and in turn this was behind the main hall/ballroom. However, the main hall suffered an arson attack on September 30th 2003 and is now a burnt out shell. The asylum also boasted its own railway but this was removed in 1950, and no trace remains except around the central engineering block. The main stores and sewing rooms were also located here, but other services, such as the mortuary and chapel, were located by the entrance road, along with two lodges for the matrons and a large manor for the superintendent. The hospital was slowly run down from the mid 1990s, and by 2003 most of the hospital was closed and derelict. A few outer ward buildings and villas remain open today and are still used for psychiatric treatment. As the hospital is largely derelict, it is of increasing interest to urban explorers who visit for the sheer size of the hospital, […]
The hospital was designed by John Giles and opened on February 18th 1903, originally under the name Brecon and Radnor Joint Asylum. In 1921, it changed its name to the Mid Wales Asylum. It was designed to cater for only 352 patients, but by the end of 1925 455 were present. In 1994 the number averaged around 140. It closed on April 7th 2000 but because it was under used at this point parts of it had been left empty for years and this has left parts of the building in a very sorry state. The site was sold off to its previous chief medical officer for pittance, which was somewhat controversial in the local area.
Gateshead borough Asylum was designed to the Compact arrow plan by GT Hine and was completed in 1913. It was the last Asylum Hine saw comleted in his lifetime. Almost as soon as the asylum was opened, it was requisitioned by the military for the duartion of World War I. Following the end of its war duties the site was returned to Gateshead who addded a nurse’s home in 1927-8 and modified the isolation hospital to form a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients. Further pressure on the County Durham mental hospital led to a union with the neighbouring county boroughs of West Hartlepool and South Shields during the 1930’s. The joint funding and demand for further space provided impetus for major additions to the Stannington site which would be completed in 1939. Built in plain red brick with slate rooves, the new units provided ten further pairs of staff cottages, two additional blocks flanking the main building, male and female detached working chronic blocks and a large admission and treatment hospital with convalescent villas at the north of the site.
St John’s Hospital or Lincolnshire County Asylum was also called Bracebridge Heath Asylum but it’s formal name was the long winded ‘Lindsey and Holland Counties and Lincoln and Grimsby District Lunatic Asylum! It has also operated under the name of Lincolnshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum. Opened in 1852 in the Bracebridge area of Lincoln originally built to house 250 inmates, it was enlarged in 1859, 1866, 1881 and 1902. The asylum grounds covered 120 acres, the grounds being cultivated by inmates to provide vegatables. Like most asylums it was ‘self supporting’ with, amongst other parts, it’s own chapel with a one and a half acre cemetery in it’s grounds. Designed by the architect John R Hamilton of Gloucester assisted by Thomas Percy, surveyor to the County of Kesteven , in corridor plan layout. Opened 9th of August 1852, closed in December 1989. Parts of the outlaying buildings have been demolished or converted but the main buildings, although mainly stripped remain-for now unconverted.
The North Wales Lunatic Asylum was the first psychiatric institution built in Wales; construction began in 1844 and completed in 1848 in the town of Denbigh. The U-shaped Tudorbethain style hospital was built due to the spreading word of mistreatment of Welsh people in English asylums; The North Wales Hospital would be a haven for welsh speaking residents to seek treatment without prejudice or a language barrier. Renovations and extensions were made at the hospital from 1867 until 1956, when the hospital reached its maximum capacity at 1,500 patients living inside her walls and 1,000 staff at hand. Physical treatments such as Cardiazol, malarial treatment, insulin shock treatment, and sulphur based drugs were used and developed in the 1920s and 1930s, and 1941-1942 saw the advent of electro convulsive therapy (ECT) and prefrontal leucotomy (lobotomy) treatments. In 1960, Enoch Powell visited the North Wales Hospital, and later announced the “Hospital Plan” for England and Wales, which proposed that psychiatric care facilities be attached to general hospitals and favored community care over institutional settings. This was the beginning of the end for the North Wales Hospital and others like it; in 1987 a ten year strategy to close the hospital was formed. The North Wales Hospital was closed in sections from 1991 to 2002; most notable was the closure of the main hospital building in 1995. On July 12, 2004, The Prince of Wales visited the hospital and administered a speech detailing his Phoenix Trust, a historic building trust that prevented […]