Bärenquell-Brauerei is a huggeee brewery in Berlin, never seen anything like it, people having a picnic on the roof, other taking a shortcuts trough the middle, with shopping, just a generally free of all explore, never met so many people in an abandoned building. ‘When the Bärenquell Brauerei closed its doors for the last time on April 1st, 1994, it marked the end of a brewery 112 years old. It first opened as the Borussia Brauerei in 1882, was bought by Schultheiss AG and expanded in 1898. After the war, it came under state control like pretty much everything else did. It was renamed the VEB Bärenquell. VEB stands for Volkseigener Betrieb, people-owned enterprise. Bärenquell proved to be one of Berlin’s most popular beers and was renowned for its good taste. By the time of its closure it was one of the ‘big four’ with Kindl, Berliner Pilsener and Schultheiss.’ Abandoned Berlin
The Kimberley Brewery was established and operated by the brewer Hardys & Hansons, and has a heritage dating from 1832. It was the oldest independent brewery in Nottinghamshire. Having been attracted by the supply of excellent brewing water from the Holly Well, both breweries thrived independently until 1930, when under increasing pressure from larger brewing companies and lack of male successors to the Hardy’s Brewery, the two companies combined. In 2006, The Hardys & Hansons Kimberley Brewery and all of its public houses were sold in a multi-million pound deal to Greene King brewery, who decided to end the brewing tradition in Kimberley in “a cost effective move” and will sell the Kimberley site, moving its distribution centre toEastwood. Brewing will switch to the main Greene King site at Bury St Edmunds.
Wolverhampton and Dudley’s Lichfield Maltings are situated on Birmingham Road, just outside the town centre. At the front is a red brick Victorian House, the brewer’s house, all that remains of the Brewery of which the maltings was once a part. The brewery has long gone and the maltings was bought from Peachs just after World War Two. This is a much smaller maltings than those at Langley being just a single building. The malthouse is constructed of red brick with a slate roof. The whole building is well constructed and with some nice details, for example the wooden stairs inside, and outside there is decorative brickwork on the kilns and under the eves there are dentil courses of brickwork in the bays between the piers. The windows are in every other bay and thus in the bays with the decorative brickwork. The building is currently undergoing redevelopment, we went for a visit before its too late.