The Birmingham Diocesan Rescue Society for the Protection of Homeless and Friendless Catholic Children was established in 1902 with Father Hudson as its first Secretary and Administrator. Father Hudson remained in Coleshill from 1898 until 1934. During that time the work of the Rescue Society grew, in particular the children’s homes. Its expansion included St. Vincent’s, a home for working boys in Moseley Road Birmingham, St. Edwards Boys Home, St George’s and St. James’ Cottage Homes for boys and St Gerard’s hospital for children in Coleshill. St. Gerard’s was the result of Father Hudson’s vision for a purpose built infirmary, not just for the boys of St. Edwards but for those from all Catholic homes in the Diocese and the Catholic children from the workhouse hospitals. Two new schools were established in Coleshill through the Society. Father Hudson’s devotion to the children, his patience, energy and great administrative skills guided this development and the Rescue Society became known colloquially as Father Hudson’s Homes… St Gerard’s Orthopaedic Hospital was part of Father Hudson’s Society buildings across the UK. It provided services for locals and the neighbouring boys school, along with care for orphaned kiddies of early to mid 1900′s. The chain of society buildings started to close in the 1980′s, due to changes in NHS funding and how orphaned children were dealt with as a whole. St Gerard’s closed in 1988.
After my visit last year, we had to take another trip! There was so much more to see, and aided by the locals, we managed to cover it all! (well a lot of it) It’s like a small town, impossible to describe the scale of the place. ‘Beelitz-Heilstätten, a district of the town, is home to a large hospital complex of about 60 buildings including a cogeneration plant erected from 1898 on according to plans of architect Heino Schmieden. Originally designed as a sanatorium by the Berlin workers’ health insurance corporation, the complex from the beginning of World War I on was a military hospital of the Imperial German Army. During October and November 1916, Adolf Hitler recuperated at Beelitz-Heilstätten after being wounded in the leg at the Battle of the Somme. In 1945, Beelitz-Heilstätten was occupied by Soviet forces, and the complex remained a Soviet military hospital until 1995, well after the German reunification. In December 1990 Erich Honecker was admitted to Beelitz-Heilstätten after being forced to resign as the head of the East German government. Following the Soviet withdrawal, attempts were made to privatize the complex, but they were not entirely successful. Some sections of the hospital remain in operation as a neurological rehabilitation center and as a center for research and care for victims of Parkinsons disease. The remainder of the complex, including the surgery, the psychiatric ward, and a rifle range, was abandoned in 2000. As of 2007, none of the abandoned hospital buildings or the surrounding area were secured, giving the area the feel of a ghost town. This has made Beelitz-Heilstätten a destination for curious visitors and a film set [...]
Taken from their website ‘Our Malvern home is both friendly and well managed where we respond to the needs of each of our residents with courtesy and dignity at all times. From the moment of arrival at our Worcestershire home you will receive a warm welcome from both staff & management. Our home is tastefully decorated, and furnished to provide a level of comfort that is much appreciated by all. We have setup a rota system that ensures we have nursing care staff on duty all day and night. There is also a 24-hour call system installed that enables our resdients to call a member of staff at a moments notice.’
Lluesty hospital, built as a workhouse in the late 1830s, has not been used since the new Holywell Community Hospital opened in 2008. The building is listed but there is land for development on the site, with room for up to 70 homes.
Beelitz-Heilstätten, a district of the town, is home to a large hospital complex of about 60 buildings erected in 1898 and deigned by architect Heino Schmieden. Originally designed as a sanatorium, the complex from the beginning of World War I became a military hospital of the Imperial German Army. During October and November 1916, Adolf Hitler was treated at Beelitz-Heilstättenfor a leg wound at the Battle of the Somme. In 1945, Beelitz-Heilstätten was occupied by Soviet forces, and the complex remained a Soviet military hospital until 1995. In December 1990 Erich Honecker was admitted to Beelitz-Heilstätten after being forced to resign as the head of the East German government.
Pool Park was rebuilt in 1826-1829 for the second Lord Bagot. It was acquired by the North Wales Counties Mental Hospital and opened in 1937 to accommodate 87 patients for relief of overcrowding at the Denbigh hospital. It has a main elevation of 2-storeys, plus attic, and is rendered with a slate roof. It has a nine bay front with projecting gabled end bays. The centre three bays are also gabled with a projecting central entrance bay. The entrance has an ornate pilastered porch with coat of Arms above and an arched entrance. There are small pane transome and mullion casement windows and gabled dormers. It is now in urgent need of repair.
Nocton Hall is a historic listed building in the village of Nocton, in Lincolnshire, England. Originally constructed for the Ellys family, it burnt down in 1834 and was rebuilt in 1841 for the first Earl of Ripon, who lived at the steward’s house in Nocton while the house was being built. The US Army’s 7th General Hospital was based at Nocton Hall during World War Two. RAF Nocton Hall was a 740 bed hospital under RAF control from the 1940s until 1984. It was used by civilians and forces personnel until 1984, when it was leased to the USAF as a United States Air Force wartime contingency hospital. During the Gulf War, over 1,300 US medical staff were sent to the Hall and many were billeted at RAF Scampton. Fortunately only 35 casualties had to be treated. In its later days 13 American personnel remained to keep the hospital serviceable. RAF Nocton Hall was handed back to the Her Majesty’s Government by the USAF on 30 September 1995. In October 2009 Nocton Hall was listed in The Victorian Society top 10 endangered buildings list in England and Wales.
West Park Asylum (or West Park Hospital) is a large psychiatric hospital in Epsom, Surrey. The hospital was designed by William C. Clifford-Smith (architect to the London County Council), who was also involved in the design of nearby St Ebba’s Hospital. The hospital had been in planning since 1906, and by 1917 it was largely complete; however, the outbreak of war postponed opening until 1923. When complete the hospital could cater for around 2,000 patients of mixed class, and hence the site had extensive boiler houses and plant rooms, a large laundry and a substantial water tower. There were enormous kitchens located behind the canteen, and in turn this was behind the main hall/ballroom. However, the main hall suffered an arson attack on September 30th 2003 and is now a burnt out shell. The asylum also boasted its own railway but this was removed in 1950, and no trace remains except around the central engineering block. The main stores and sewing rooms were also located here, but other services, such as the mortuary and chapel, were located by the entrance road, along with two lodges for the matrons and a large manor for the superintendent. The hospital was slowly run down from the mid 1990s, and by 2003 most of the hospital was closed and derelict. A few outer ward buildings and villas remain open today and are still used for psychiatric treatment. As the hospital is largely derelict, it is of increasing interest to urban explorers who visit for the sheer size of the hospital, [...]
The hospital was designed by John Giles and opened on February 18th 1903, originally under the name Brecon and Radnor Joint Asylum. In 1921, it changed its name to the Mid Wales Asylum. It was designed to cater for only 352 patients, but by the end of 1925 455 were present. In 1994 the number averaged around 140. It closed on April 7th 2000 but because it was under used at this point parts of it had been left empty for years and this has left parts of the building in a very sorry state. The site was sold off to its previous chief medical officer for pittance, which was somewhat controversial in the local area.
Gateshead borough Asylum was designed to the Compact arrow plan by GT Hine and was completed in 1913. It was the last Asylum Hine saw comleted in his lifetime. Almost as soon as the asylum was opened, it was requisitioned by the military for the duartion of World War I. Following the end of its war duties the site was returned to Gateshead who addded a nurse’s home in 1927-8 and modified the isolation hospital to form a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients. Further pressure on the County Durham mental hospital led to a union with the neighbouring county boroughs of West Hartlepool and South Shields during the 1930′s. The joint funding and demand for further space provided impetus for major additions to the Stannington site which would be completed in 1939. Built in plain red brick with slate rooves, the new units provided ten further pairs of staff cottages, two additional blocks flanking the main building, male and female detached working chronic blocks and a large admission and treatment hospital with convalescent villas at the north of the site.
St John’s Hospital or Lincolnshire County Asylum was also called Bracebridge Heath Asylum but it’s formal name was the long winded ‘Lindsey and Holland Counties and Lincoln and Grimsby District Lunatic Asylum! It has also operated under the name of Lincolnshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum. Opened in 1852 in the Bracebridge area of Lincoln originally built to house 250 inmates, it was enlarged in 1859, 1866, 1881 and 1902. The asylum grounds covered 120 acres, the grounds being cultivated by inmates to provide vegatables. Like most asylums it was ‘self supporting’ with, amongst other parts, it’s own chapel with a one and a half acre cemetery in it’s grounds. Designed by the architect John R Hamilton of Gloucester assisted by Thomas Percy, surveyor to the County of Kesteven , in corridor plan layout. Opened 9th of August 1852, closed in December 1989. Parts of the outlaying buildings have been demolished or converted but the main buildings, although mainly stripped remain-for now unconverted.
The North Wales Lunatic Asylum was the first psychiatric institution built in Wales; construction began in 1844 and completed in 1848 in the town of Denbigh. The U-shaped Tudorbethain style hospital was built due to the spreading word of mistreatment of Welsh people in English asylums; The North Wales Hospital would be a haven for welsh speaking residents to seek treatment without prejudice or a language barrier. Renovations and extensions were made at the hospital from 1867 until 1956, when the hospital reached its maximum capacity at 1,500 patients living inside her walls and 1,000 staff at hand. Physical treatments such as Cardiazol, malarial treatment, insulin shock treatment, and sulphur based drugs were used and developed in the 1920s and 1930s, and 1941-1942 saw the advent of electro convulsive therapy (ECT) and prefrontal leucotomy (lobotomy) treatments. In 1960, Enoch Powell visited the North Wales Hospital, and later announced the “Hospital Plan” for England and Wales, which proposed that psychiatric care facilities be attached to general hospitals and favored community care over institutional settings. This was the beginning of the end for the North Wales Hospital and others like it; in 1987 a ten year strategy to close the hospital was formed. The North Wales Hospital was closed in sections from 1991 to 2002; most notable was the closure of the main hospital building in 1995. On July 12, 2004, The Prince of Wales visited the hospital and administered a speech detailing his Phoenix Trust, a historic building trust that prevented [...]