From the T.G.Green website ‘Cornish Kitchen Ware was first produced in 1926 by T.G.Green & Co in Church Gresley, Derbyshire, a county famed for its pottery. The range’s special characteristic came from the lathe-turning process, which cut clean bands through its beautiful blue slip to show the white clay beneath. It was apparently this that inspired the name, since it reminded one T.G.Green & Co. employee of the clear blues and white-tipped waves of Cornwall. The range of kitchen and table ware, from the hooped plates to the iconic storage jars, was an immediate success and remained popular from then on. This inspired T.G.Green & Co. to produce more colours of Cornishware, and more ranges, including the spotted Domino Ware and the cream and green Streamline Ware In the 1960s, Cornishware was updated by a young designer called Judith Onions. It says much for her skill and sensitivity that this restyled range was embraced as warmly as the originals had been. Over the past 20 years, the range has become highly prized by collectors, with the sighting of both rare original designs and Onions classics the subject of much excitement – and ever-increasing prices. The story was not so happy for T.G.Green & Co. itself, however. It had become increasingly difficult for the Victorian pottery in Derbyshire to compete in the modern age and, after a series of owners had done their best since the Green family sold it in 1964, it finally closed in 2007.’
A large abandoned factory unit, from what I can gather the company repaired lorry cabs and vans.
Members of the public can have the say on the future of a disused waste incinerator in Hanley Swan during a public exhibition taking place today (Friday, February 13) and tomorrow. The ten-storey high structure at Haylers End was formerly used by Worcestershire County Council but has been out of service for several years. It was bought by a private bidder at auction last year, and now Worcester-based architects Boughton Butler is inviting residents to discuss the future of the site. Spokesman Andrew Boughton said a variety of different options had been considered for the site. Returning it to use as an incinerator would be possible, although Boughton Butler has ruled this out as it would not be of benefit to the local community and the firm is keen to produce a scheme with a “positive result”. Reversion to agricultural use was also considered but has been ruled out as it is not financially viable.
Herbert Couchman was chief engineer and architect to Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton of Burton upon Trent from 1891. This energetic and meticulous engineer designed an eighth malthouse at Shobnall for the firm in 1891, and then the reconstructed Plough Maltings, Horninglow Street, Burton, in 1899. Couchman was a versatile designer, becoming personally involved with the construction of everything from locomotives to churches in his time with Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton. His best known work was the development of the Sleaford Maltings complex in 1903-6. The Plough Maltings (Herbert Couchman, 1899-1902), opposite the former Coors Visitor Centre. This substantial red brick structure, currently thought to be threatened by redevelopment, was not a traditional floor maltings but a drum maltings.
The most prominent potato producer and the greatest user of railway line were W. Dennis and Sons who owned large estates at Nocton (8,000 acres), Deeping St Nicholas (2,000 acres) and Kirton (2,000 acres). W Dennis and Sons established their Nocton Estate in 1919 – the annual production in the 1950’s being some 17,000 tons of food, consisting primarily of potatoes.
Wallerscote Island is situated on the river Weaver in the North West of England near Northwich. The Island is home to part of one of the world’s 5 largest soda ash manufacturing companies known as ‘Brunner Mond’. In 1873 and Industrialist named John Brunner and a Chemist by the name of Ludwig Mond formed a soda ash manufacturing business so successful that years later the ‘Brunner Mond’ corporation merged with two other companies, one of which was ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries). Love the entrance to this explore, the workers below us on the crossing didnt even know we where there 😉
Moneystone Quarry has been quarried by the Sibelco Group since the late 1960’s for silica sands, mainly for the production of container glass and ceramics. All quarrying finally came to a stop on the 30th of September 2011 after a planning application to extend the quarry further was rejected. Laver Leisure purchased the 420 acre site to develop a new £50 million leisure complex with adventure and water sport facilities along with 150 self catering lodges
Tropical reefs developed in warm, shallow seas during the Silurian Period, 440 – 410 million years ago. The fossilised remains of one of these reefs are preserved in limestone rocks in parts of England and Wales. This is Wenlock Limestone. Lea Quarry has been disused for little over 3 years now, but in its’ prime worked the local land for varying formations of Limestone. The Wenlock limestone occurs either as a series of thin limestones within shales or as thick massive beds; it is sometimes hard and crystalline and sometimes soft, earthy or concretionary. Bardon Aggregates took over the site and excavated the stone for commercial purposes, but also worked with local geologists in studying the land and collecting stone and fossil samples.
One of the last remaining family-owned pottery firms is to close after more than a century. J H Weatherby and Sons in Hanley is currently being run down and is will soon cease trading after 109 years. Its chairman, Christopher Weatherby, the great-great grandson of company founder John Henry Weatherby, today blamed cut-throat competition in the hotelware business for the firm’s decline. At its height the company employed 200, but the figure was down to 50 at the turn of the year and now stands at 10. Mr Weatherby said: ‘‘We have decided to cease trading and are in the process of finishing off stock and things like that. ‘‘Basically we’ve decided to close down before someone else forced us to – while we are solvent rather than insolvent. ‘‘It’s really upsetting. One of the main reasons is for the employees who work here. ‘‘We have had two or three generations of people working here and one of the things I’ve found warming is their reaction to this. ‘‘They have been very sympathetic and understanding. Everyone who works here has been very happy here.” The company was founded in Tunstall in 1891 and moved to Hanley the following year. It first made domestic ware such as basins and ewers, later moving into tableware and giftware. The firm also entered the market for hotelware – leading ultimately to its downfall. Mr Weatherby pointed to tough competition from home and abroad for the company’s current problems. These included pressure on prices owing to ‘‘block production” and […]
This mill was built in 1771 for Henry Copestake who, along with his brother Thomas, ran a jewellery business from Uttoxeter. They were well known goldsmiths throughout the Midlands and the water mill was Henry’s pet idea for speeding up the process of lapidary, the polishing of gemstones, which was normally a long job to do by hand. This was before electricity was introduced. Water mills were utilised in various trades on the River Tean from Lower Tean down to the Cotton Mill Farm prior to joining the River Dove. There were six mills working the same water as it passed through.
An excellent explore right next to the canal in the small town of Atherstone. Atherstone has been a centre for hatmaking since Tudor times. In the 17th century when the wearing of felt hats instead of caps became increasingly common, Atherstone became the West Midlands centre for the manufacture low cost hats. Hats from Atherstone were sent all over Britain and further afield, around the world to British colonies. In the aftermath of the Second World War. Despite booms and troughs caused by fashion, the market remained on a downward trend. In the 1970s only three hat factories remained in Atherstone – Denham & Hargrave, Vero & Everitt and Wilson & Stafford. In the 1980s as the market contracted further, Wilson & Stafford bought out the other two firms, but could not continue much longer. The Wilson & Stafford factory survived for another decade and was the last to close in 1999. The building was due for demolition in 2008 in order to build flats, but for one reason or another this work has not yet been carried out.
The Brymbo Steelworks was a former large steelworks in the village of Brymbo near Wrexham, Wales. For much of its life it was a rather ordinary ironworks and later steelworks, but is significant on account of its founder, and as having one of a modest number of surviving blast furnace stacks.