The most prominent potato producer and the greatest user of railway line were W. Dennis and Sons who owned large estates at Nocton (8,000 acres), Deeping St Nicholas (2,000 acres) and Kirton (2,000 acres). W Dennis and Sons established their Nocton Estate in 1919 – the annual production in the 1950’s being some 17,000 tons of food, consisting primarily of potatoes.
Shodfriar’s Hall comprises two conjoined buildings of different dates and styles, a fifteenth century L-shaped structure and a substantial red brick extension of 1874. The older of the two (described by Pevsner as ‘the ghost’ of a timber framed building) was heavily restored or, more correctly, reconstructed and much altered by J Oldrid Scott in 1874. Taken for what it is, it is still an impressive and evocative building with jettied storeys at first and second floor levels and broad gables. Scott also designed the new building in contrasting gothic style, with a high pitched roof. The old building housed the Boston Conservative and Constitutional Club and a few shops, while the new contained a great hall at first floor level. The hall was employed for much the same mix of uses as an old circuit theatre, that is, dances, public meetings and concerts, with occasional theatricals, the main difference being that touring theatre companies usually played for only a few nights on each visit. There were no seasons of greater length. Shodfriars is now in a multiplicity of uses, a sad fate for any building of distinction and, whilst the hall is still physically present, alterations that have occurred have obscured its character and made it difficult to judge whether restoration to Scott’s designs could be a practical possibility. It is, in any case, unclear whether the hall was ever as elaborately decorated as a contemporary view suggests. As completed, it was 62ft long, plus a small stage extension, […]
RAF Stenigot was a World War II radar station situated near Donington on Bain, Lincolnshire, England. It was part of the Chain Home radar network, intended to provide long range early warning for raids from Luftflotte V and the northern elements of Luftflotte IIalong the approaches to Sheffield and Nottingham and the central midlands. After World War II, the site was retained as part of the Chain Home network. In 1959 it was upgraded to a communications relay site as part of the ACE Highprogram, which involved adding four tropospheric scatter dishes. The site was decommissioned in the late 1980s and was mostly demolished by 1996. The dishes however, still remain.
Nocton Hall is a historic listed building in the village of Nocton, in Lincolnshire, England. Originally constructed for the Ellys family, it burnt down in 1834 and was rebuilt in 1841 for the first Earl of Ripon, who lived at the steward’s house in Nocton while the house was being built. The US Army’s 7th General Hospital was based at Nocton Hall during World War Two. RAF Nocton Hall was a 740 bed hospital under RAF control from the 1940s until 1984. It was used by civilians and forces personnel until 1984, when it was leased to the USAF as a United States Air Force wartime contingency hospital. During the Gulf War, over 1,300 US medical staff were sent to the Hall and many were billeted at RAF Scampton. Fortunately only 35 casualties had to be treated. In its later days 13 American personnel remained to keep the hospital serviceable. RAF Nocton Hall was handed back to the Her Majesty’s Government by the USAF on 30 September 1995. In October 2009 Nocton Hall was listed in The Victorian Society top 10 endangered buildings list in England and Wales.
Designed specifically to facilitate three key stages in the production of beer, the Sleaford Bass Maltings represent both a practical and architecturally pleasing group of buildings. Was later used as Padleys to store chickens. The water tower offers an amazing view over Sleaford by night or day. Previous Daytime Shots Photography: Chris Mitchell
St John’s Hospital or Lincolnshire County Asylum was also called Bracebridge Heath Asylum but it’s formal name was the long winded ‘Lindsey and Holland Counties and Lincoln and Grimsby District Lunatic Asylum! It has also operated under the name of Lincolnshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum. Opened in 1852 in the Bracebridge area of Lincoln originally built to house 250 inmates, it was enlarged in 1859, 1866, 1881 and 1902. The asylum grounds covered 120 acres, the grounds being cultivated by inmates to provide vegatables. Like most asylums it was ‘self supporting’ with, amongst other parts, it’s own chapel with a one and a half acre cemetery in it’s grounds. Designed by the architect John R Hamilton of Gloucester assisted by Thomas Percy, surveyor to the County of Kesteven , in corridor plan layout. Opened 9th of August 1852, closed in December 1989. Parts of the outlaying buildings have been demolished or converted but the main buildings, although mainly stripped remain-for now unconverted.
British Sugar Beet factory in Bardney near Lincoln. Biggest part of the factory has been closed for a few years, but the site is still active. Photographer: Chris Mitchell
Designed specifically to facilitate three key stages in the production of beer, the Sleaford Bass Maltings represent both a practical and architecturally pleasing group of buildings. Was later used as Padleys to store chickens. The water tower offers an amazing view over Sleaford by night or day. Photography: Chris Mitchell