Taken from their website ‘Our Malvern home is both friendly and well managed where we respond to the needs of each of our residents with courtesy and dignity at all times. From the moment of arrival at our Worcestershire home you will receive a warm welcome from both staff & management. Our home is tastefully decorated, and furnished to provide a level of comfort that is much appreciated by all. We have setup a rota system that ensures we have nursing care staff on duty all day and night. There is also a 24-hour call system installed that enables our resdients to call a member of staff at a moments notice.’
Set in the Malvern Hills, the school’s location owes much to Malvern’s emergence in the nineteenth century as a fashionable spa resort, appreciated for its unpolluted air and the healing qualities of its famous spring water. The school opened its doors for the first time in January 1865. Initially, there were only about twenty four boy pupils, six teachers and two houses but its expansion was rapid. In 1875, there were 200 boys on the Roll and five boarding houses ; by the end of the 19th century, the numbers had risen to more than 400 boys and ten houses. American poet Henry Longfellow visited the school in 1868, Prince and Princess Christian on speech-day in 1870 and The Duke and Duchess of Teck visited in 1891 with their daughter, Princess May (later Queen Mary). Lord Randolph Churchill’s speech-day comments on education in 1889 were reported in the Times. The school was one of the twenty four Public Schools listed in the Public Schools Yearbook of 1889. Further expansion of pupil numbers and buildings continued between the end of the First World War in 1918 and the start of the Second World War in 1939. During the two Wars, 457 and 258 former pupils, respectively, gave their lives. Seven former pupils were among ‘the few’ who took part in the Battle of Britain. Following the onset of World War II, the College premises were requisitioned by the Admiralty between October 1939 and July 1940, with the result that the school [...]
Members of the public can have the say on the future of a disused waste incinerator in Hanley Swan during a public exhibition taking place today (Friday, February 13) and tomorrow. The ten-storey high structure at Haylers End was formerly used by Worcestershire County Council but has been out of service for several years. It was bought by a private bidder at auction last year, and now Worcester-based architects Boughton Butler is inviting residents to discuss the future of the site. Spokesman Andrew Boughton said a variety of different options had been considered for the site. Returning it to use as an incinerator would be possible, although Boughton Butler has ruled this out as it would not be of benefit to the local community and the firm is keen to produce a scheme with a “positive result”. Reversion to agricultural use was also considered but has been ruled out as it is not financially viable.