Jameah Islameah School was an independent Islamic school in East Sussex. The school was located on a 54 acre site and had residential facilities to house male students aged 11 to 16. The school was independently owned and the proprietor functioned as the principal. In December, 2005, Jameah Islameah was inspected by the Office for Standards in Education which noted that it “does not provide a satisfactory education for its pupils.” At the time of the inspection, the school had nine students. According to BBC News the school purported to teach students to become Islamic leaders, training them to the level high enough to teach in local Masajeds and Madares. There had been allegations that the school was used in the training and recruitment of terrorists. According to testimony from Al Qaeda suspects held at Guantanamo Bay, in 1997 and 1998, Abu Hamza[disambiguation needed] and groups of around 30 of his followers held terrorist training camps at the school, including training with AK47 rifles and handguns, as well as a mock rocket launcher. In 2003 or 2004, the grounds of the school were used for an Islamic-themed camping trip, at which Omar Bakri Mohammed lectured. The trip, which was advertised by word-of-mouth, was attended by 50 Muslim men, most of whom were members of al-Muhajiroun. Bakri claimed the activities at the camp included lectures on Islam, football, and paintballing. On 1 September 2006 the Jameah Islameah school was searched by up to a hundred police officers as part of their [...]
Lillesden Girls School occupies what used to be the Lillesden Estate Mansion, built at the estate (south of Hawkhurst) by the banker Edward Loyd, who co-founded the Loyd Entwistle & Co bank, which later became the District Bank and ultimately the National Westminster (Natwest). Loyd had Lillesden Mansion built after he married Caroline Louisa Foster on the 12th March 1846 at Ashton-on-Mersey. He bought the Lillesden estate at Hawkhurst, Kent in 1853 and built the mansion, finished in 1855.
Set in the Malvern Hills, the school’s location owes much to Malvern’s emergence in the nineteenth century as a fashionable spa resort, appreciated for its unpolluted air and the healing qualities of its famous spring water. The school opened its doors for the first time in January 1865. Initially, there were only about twenty four boy pupils, six teachers and two houses but its expansion was rapid. In 1875, there were 200 boys on the Roll and five boarding houses ; by the end of the 19th century, the numbers had risen to more than 400 boys and ten houses. American poet Henry Longfellow visited the school in 1868, Prince and Princess Christian on speech-day in 1870 and The Duke and Duchess of Teck visited in 1891 with their daughter, Princess May (later Queen Mary). Lord Randolph Churchill’s speech-day comments on education in 1889 were reported in the Times. The school was one of the twenty four Public Schools listed in the Public Schools Yearbook of 1889. Further expansion of pupil numbers and buildings continued between the end of the First World War in 1918 and the start of the Second World War in 1939. During the two Wars, 457 and 258 former pupils, respectively, gave their lives. Seven former pupils were among ‘the few’ who took part in the Battle of Britain. Following the onset of World War II, the College premises were requisitioned by the Admiralty between October 1939 and July 1940, with the result that the school [...]
In the middle of a woodlands in Staffordshire, we stumbled across Westwood school, it seems the school was relocated half a mile down the road and this is what was left behind.